Sadler West Addition
The College of William and Mary, founded in 1693, was in need of a central location on campus to house various services for students and college staff. Box Cove lighting from Whitegoods, produced in custom lengths, highlights the architectural details of this new space.
The requirement was for a continuous cove luminaire that would seamlessly integrate with the curtain wall, which was segmented to appear curved. Box Cove 2 (BC2) was attached directly to the interior window mullion to provide indirect lighting, and was segmented and inter-connected with custom joiners to hide power wiring and make the cove disappear against the curved window wall.
BC2 is an award-winning, square-fronted continuous linear luminaire equipped with interior wall and mullion mount options to ensure a clean, minimal appearance while delivering a maximum throw of light. Featuring high-performance optics and an integral driver, the light source is not visible from any viewing angle up to and including a direct horizontal view, which makes this product ideal for drawing attention to the architecture and not the lighting. Whitegoods provides a curated range of lighting tools that seamlessly integrate into the architecture while making the absolute minimum visual impact on the space being illuminated.
The renovation of an existing student health center and construction of an addition now provides 56,000 square feet for offices, meetings, social events, performances and community gatherings. BC2 enhances the striking wall of windows and provides sufficient interior and exterior illumination to the students and staff.